Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acts like it’s stuck in gear won’t let you start or move…

Customer Question
Acts like it’s stuck...

Acts like it’s stuck in gear won’t let you start or move knob

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

No break switch yet 230 thousand

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2013 ram 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The neutral override

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
5/29/2018
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you're unable to turn the shifter knob either the shifter has failed, there is a bus communication issue or the shifter has lost power or ground, or the actual park linkage state in the trans doesn't match the desired state.

When you start the engine what do the lights on the shifter do, and are there any warning messages on the instrument cluster?

It dosnt let you start acting like it’s in gear just clicks.

Please reply here rather than opening duplicate questions.

You can't move the shifter without the engine running.

Do you get a click from the engine compartment when turning the key to the crank position?

Can you try a jump start?

I just did it sounds the same but also like a automatic Would sound if you tried starting in drive
Do you get a click from the starter?Does the fuel pump run?Does the engine light do a bulb test and go out at key on?
lights up all then goes to drive
Park stays on the p

Do you get a click from the starter?

Does the fuel pump run?

Does the engine light do a bulb test and go out at key on?

You'll need to verify that the engine physically turns, voltage drop test the engine ground and starter positive cables, verify that there is power on the starter solenoid wire with the key in the crank position. If ok then replace the starter.

Ok so this one I’m towing to the dealer... it’s the shifter and transmission not in sink or something.

The shifter is in park. Unless you're seeing a service transmission message on the instrument cluster that you haven't mentioned then there isn't a transmission issue.

I’ve seen that come across

Before or after you used the manual park release? You would have caused the message yourself with the park release.

I think it was only when I pulled the manual release your right. . Cause it’s not there now
But the fact I was going down highway shifted to neutral shut off then wouldn’t restart acts like it’s in drive but says park makes me think they got out of sync
Just don’t know how to reset

That's the key information that was missing when the question was posted. The trans failed and now the starter is being locked out. You have an electrical failure with the trans, whether it's the TCM or a wiring problem.