Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It will only go into 1 and 2 gear. If I put in if I put into…

Customer Question
Hi, it will only...

Hi, it will only go into 1 and 2 gear. If I put in if I put into to drive and give it gas. It won't move

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts same as usual, haven't notice it eating ges

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

Its a V8 so it always eats gas

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Dodge?

2004 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I'm taking it into a tranny shop wanted to see if I could find out the problems ahead of time to keep them honest

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mileage is 124,000 miles Thank you

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Transmissions
5/28/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 23 days ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 18 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt