Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002isuzu trooper 4x4 .the 2-3 was revving too much, am. Nd…

Customer Question
2002isuzu trooper 4x4 .the...

2002isuzu trooper 4x4 .the 2-3 was revving too much, am

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Trooper?

Nd then the trans started slipping.i heard that it's the clutch o

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Yes it basically doesn't work.rolls a little then won't do anything.put in in 4 w just to get around the parking lot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trooper yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just changed the fluid.it overheated once anf

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I ve heard that that messes up the solenoid.tj

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
5/26/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

can you tell me if this is an auto or manual transmission?

as you mention a clutch but your question reads like its an auto?

also how many miles are on the truck?

It's automatic 4x4.lots of miles 230k.engine seems fine. No oil burning.overheats at long idle which I think is what caused it.
The truck is automatic.4x4.
230k miles

OK as the oil cooler for the transmission is inside the main engine radiator its very possible that if the engine cooling isn't right then you will also overheat the transmission which then will appear as the torque convertor slipping and missed or slow shifts

So I'd begin by checking that the radiator cooling fan is coming on as it should and if thats OK then replace the thermostat in the engine.

Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.
If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly.

So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap