Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 chrysler town and country, driving down the…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 chrysler town and country , driving down the road the van stopped going , i pulled over to side of road , no forward gears or reverse. i called caa , they towed van to garage , after two days they told me my transimission is in need of a new one , no problems with transimsioons issues ever , about 175 k on van , is this possible

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

About 3 weeks ago when i had a fukll service oilchange done

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is still at the serveice station where it got towed to,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is all , it just does not make any sense to me , that without any kind of warnign theat the transimision would need to be replaced

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
5/26/2018
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There is often no warning before a transmission fails, just like any other part on a vehicle. Automatic transmissions do have a finite life, and their longevity depends greatly on how the vehicle is used and how the transmission is maintained. 175,000 miles is a respectable service life. If the fluid is full and CV shafts are intact then the problem is internal in the transmission.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.