Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The transmission isn't shifting out of second gear. We have…

Customer Question
The transmission isn't shifting...

The transmission isn't shifting out of second gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

We have changed the fluid and filter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2007 expidetion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes that's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
4/3/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech replied 3 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Ar you certain it is not going to neutral at the 2/3 shift point? It will feel a lot like staying in second, when actually it is loosing engagement.

I don't think it's going into neutral because if you give it gas it will still go up I just didn't want the RPM to go to high so I only drove it about 40 to get it to a safe

OK, thanks. A good way to tell if it is stuck in second would be to run it up to 40 or so and let off the gas. If it is in second there will be substantial engine braking when letting off the gas. If it is loosing third gear engagement it will coast as if in neutral when letting off the gas with no engine braking. Sticking in second with this transmission is very uncommon. Loosing engagement at the 2/3 shift point is very common and is caused by a broken weld in the direct clutch hub causing a pressure loss to the direct clutch which is used for third gear. If that ends up being the case, then overhaul or transmission replacement will be necessary.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Did you need any further assistance? The question is showing "waiting for customer response/rating" Let me know and I will respond or have the question closed out.
Thanks,
Kenny

OK, I will have the question closed out then.