Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6 7 diesel an automatic…

I have a 2008 Dodge...
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6 7 diesel an automatic transmission. My check engine light came on and the transmission does not seem to be shifting properly. The codes are TCC out of range and line pressure low. The transmission does not seem to be slipping but does not shift properly. What kind of problem am I looking at?
3/30/2018
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, it depends on the actual code numbers set. There are a couple different variants for codes, so if you can tell me the actual code numbers that would be more specific in the diagnosis.

ok, My truck is a 4x4 also if that makes a difference. Although 4x4 still works. Ok here are the codes. First time lite came on it was the following:
PCM - P0700
TCM - P0740 Stored TCC out of range
P0868 Stored Line Pressure Low
P0871 Pending Pressure switch rationalityOk, I cleared all the codes. Now my truck has DPF Deleted and I had it set at half of stock HP. I figured it was to low because I was pulling my Goose Neck Travel trailer when the Ck Eng light came on. So when I cleared the codes I also turned the HP up to 30 Over stock with added timing. Now it seemed to work fine for a while. It shifted thru all gears run 65mph no problem with the trailer but the next day I was pulling the trailer again and the Ck Eng light cam one again. This time it wwas following codes:PCM - P0700
TCM - P0740 Stored TCC out of range.Any more info that you need let me know.

Ok, yes that helps a lot. I have seen plenty of issues with the pressure switch causing issues. Since the P0740 is a hard fault I would look into the wiring going to the transmission to make sure it is ok, no damage, fluid leaks from the trans case into the harness. If this looks ok. I would drop the pan and inspect for any debris, if found, then more in depth transmission work will need to be done, possible overhaul/replacement. if it looks ok, replace the pressure switch and tcc solenoid and retest.

I have never had any leaks on this truck. I still dont see any spots under it now. I plan to drop the pan tomorrow and see if I have anything in the pan. But as I said before, after I cleared the codes it ran fine for a while then the light came on again and the truck seemed to not want to shift past maybe 4th gear. I cannot feel any slipping. Can you get me a diagram showing where the TCC and pressure switch are located?

Yes the valve body is removed and its part of a solenoid block.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Ok, I am not understanding this diagram. All it shows is a picture of the valve body.

Thats the only information available, the valve body has to be removed, the box is the area where it bolts to the back of the valve body.

the Line pressure switch and the TCC solenoid is all in the same place? How many solenoids are there and how will I know which is which?

It is a solenoid body, they are not serviced individually.

is the dealer the only place to get this part?

No it looks like it is available aftermarket, but you would probably be better off going with the dealer one. I have to change the similar part on my 05 dodge dakota V8 and will be using the dealer parts. They will match it up thru the vin number so there are no mistakes. I have seen issues with some aftermarket parts being defective.

Do you need more help with this concern?

I have attached a few pictures. The pan looks clean. The magnet has what I would consider normal sludge on it. The color of the fluid is a little dark but does not have a burnt odor to it. The transmission has never had a slipping problem that I have ever noticed. So with this extra info do you still believe that the solenoid pak will solve the problem? Also does the plug to the pak go thru the transmission? Do I need to disconnect the big plug on the outside of trans above the pak before removing it?
IMG_20180401_141938662.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180401_141714898.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180401_141658163.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180401_141750442.jpgIMG_201...jpg

Yes it looks ok from what I can see. Yes the plug needs to be disconnected outside the transmission to remove the solenoid block. If its still setting these codes, then that is where I would start, with the solenoid block & pressure switch assembly.

What can you tell me about these different color plugs? I have read about some white and some black. I believe the black was an upgraded version? Does it matter what color I put back in?

That I am not sure, I would just recommend the dealer part which would be the latest updated part available and meant for your truck.

does anything need to be re-learned or reprogrammed when new pack is installed?

Not on this particular model no, but there may be a software update available that the dealer would need to do. this is a plug and play repair. Just need to clear codes to see if they reset.

Ok, got truck all back together. Ran fine for about 20 miles, then this code came up P0740 (Torque Converter Clutch Circuit/Open) Then it seemed to have a terrible lag under acceleration.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

P0740 sets when the torque converter clutch is commanded to lock up and either doesn't lock at all or slips excessively. The torque converter will need to be replaced to repair this code.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

How do I know it is the Torque Converter and not just a bad solenoid pack? I ask because this code came up before I replaced the pak but with a different meaning, P0740 TCC out of Range. After pak replaced P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit/Open

The solenoid pack can't cause the problem, there isn't a converter clutch solenoid. The definition of P0740 is TCC out of range, it sets when the converter clutch is commanded to lock up and either slips or doesn't engage at all. It is not for an electrical problem, there is no torque converter clutch solenoid circuit on your truck.

OK, What causes the TC to go bad? This truck only has 230k miles on it. It has not been worked hard at all. I pull a trailer maybe 10 times a year that weighs 6200lbs. That should have been easy for this truck. My last dodge had 328K on it when I sold it and it never had a problem.

The age and hauling with it are both factors.

that is a 2500 diesel pickup. That load should not be an issue for that truck. I worked my 2001 Dodge a lot harder for a lot longer and it never failed. I cannot accept that 230k miles and 6200 lbs could cause this problem. This truck is rated to tow a lot more than that.

Age is the biggest factor rather than load. The torque converter clutch wears just like any other clutch. The service life of the vehicle is considered 10 years and 150,000 miles. The modulated converter clutch on a modern vehicle is also going to wear more quickly than the dated on/off design of the 2001 truck and isn't a valid comparison.

Well it looks like their design worked just the way they wanted it to. 10 yrs on the dot and it quits. So I guess it is true. They dont build them like they use to. Well at least Now I know not to buy dodge anymore. Now I need to figure out who I can sue for selling me a truck designed to quit without telling me it was designed to quit. Looks like I need to buy me another 2001. hell the 5.9 was a better designed engine anyway.

Nothing is designed on any vehicle to fail intentionally.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician