Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2007 impala 3.9 sometimes tries to shift 1st and second…

Customer Question
My 2007 impala 3.9...

My 2007 impala 3.9 sometimes tries to shift 1st and second gear around 37 mph together. most of the time it shifts normal though. I replaced the tranny with two used ones only to get the same results.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

10 years just a little drip or two from transmission line at transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. replacing transmission and adding new fluid. changing speed sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cruise control wont work, auto start let engine run about 3 seconds

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/30/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is or has the check engine light or any other warning lights come on with this fault here at all?

Have you had the fault codes checked at all?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

the only one p0700

This code sets in the engine computer to let you know that the transmission computer has a code set in it.The code has to be read out of the transmission computer with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read the transmission computer codes.Not all code readers or scan tools can do this.There will be at least one code set in the transmission computer since you do have the P0700 code set and that code will then help to diagnose and locate the fault.

Since you have replaced the transmission twice and have the same results my suspect is the transmission control module itself at fault.I have seen the transmission control module act up causing erratic shifting issues like your seeing here in the past before and had to replace it.

But you will need to have the codes checked in it to make sure it is the cause.In some cases, a local parts store can read the transmission codes free of charge.

In the link below is the location of the transmission computer.Cruise control is not working due to the fault here and the remote start usually won't keep the engine running until all faults are taken care of and the codes are cleared out with a scan tool.This is how the remote start feature is designed to be disabled when a code is set.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijemajwktlvfwgc/tcm-03-30.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Pete thanks a lot it appears my problem isn't transmission related.?????

You're welcome

It is transmission related but doesn't sound to be in the transmission itself since you have replaced the transmission and have the same results.What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out of/checked in the transmission computer using a scan tool that can plug in and can read the transmission computer to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this issue here.It can be the transmission control module at fault causing this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete