Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am getting the Transmission fault, limited gears in my…

Customer Question
I am getting the...

I am getting the Transmission fault, limited gears in my 2007 Range Rover Sport SC-the gear shift is also locked in park

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

No, I have had the car 2 years, no transmission issues before this happenned

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I really have not done anything. I was going to disconnect the battery to bleed the computer to see if it was a just a computer issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/29/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

What has occurred is the computer has detected a fault with one of the components that operate electronically with the transmission itself.Since it is locked in park this can be a fault with the shifter mechanism itself or the transmission range/position sensor sending a false or incorrect signal needing replaced.

You can try to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes to see if this resets the fault as this sometimes works temporarily.But what has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set then will need diagnosed to help to locate and repair this fault here.A shop or dealer can plug in their scan tool to read out the codes as well as diagnose and repair this fault for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out the codes at no charge to you.They usually cannot diagnose or repair the fault but can give you an idea of what is at fault needing replaced.If you can get it to reset by disconnecting the battery then you can drive it to one of these places to have the codes checked.If not it will have to be towed indicating the fault is still occurring and it will remain locked in park until repaired.This is to prevent damage to the transmission.

But the codes do need read out as there are several components that can cause this issue here and this will narrow down and help pinpoint which component needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete