Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I Have a Ford expedition 98 model and the other day I had to…

I Have a Ford expedition...
I Have a Ford expedition 98 model and the other day I had to put on the high gear 4 H to be able to park over a pile of snow and then when I wanted to shift back to the regular to*****It would not and a got stuck on the 4H for several miles with engine running heavily and having to stay at under 40 miles max speed or else the engine would cut off . I kept trying to change the setting on N and then on P and I don't know how after around 45 minutes I was finally able to get it back to the*****
my question is why did that happen and if that happens again what shots should I do?
3/27/2018
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

What can cause this fault here is a fault with the front axle actuator hanging up needing to be replaced or the vacuum solenoids sticking on.These were common for this issue here.

If this occurs again what needs to be done is to have the front axle actuator tested as well as the vacuum solenoids to locate which one of these is failing to need to be replaced.You will need to have this checked/tested while it is stuck in 4wd so the testing will be accurate in locating and repairing this fault.

But one of these will be the cause as I have seen and had to replace myself in the past.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcvwjgzyn184m95/act-03-27.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic