Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I h ax e. I have a 2013 Nissan sentra sr 1.8L, it has the…

I have a...

I have a 2013 Nissan sentra sr 1.8L, it has the JF015E, so I had the p0965 which is pressure control solenoid b range performance, well I took the pan off and I noticed a lot of metal flakes, so I ended up doing an overhaul, put in new frictions, new molded piston, seals, used but in good shape cut unit, and another valvebody, so I just put.the tranny back into the car took it for a test drive and I still get the same code and now it feels like it flares the rpms goes up and down' after a while it feels like it has no power accelerator doesn't respond. I got lost now. Need help with this unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It's consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah it's my costumers car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If I remember I'll let him know thanks

3/27/2018
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, what do you mean by used but in good shape cut unit? So it had metal contamination, did you find a mechanical part that failed that the metal came from? Did you flush out the cooler and lines, Did you replace the torque convertor and clean out the oil pump?

I did everything, metal came from cvt band, so i replaced the primary and secondary pulley and cvt band. Did overhaul on unit. When i test drove the car it took off fine, after a while it felt like a shuttle shift was going on, gear would engage and disengage, after that I had p0965 again, i think it's electrical, not sure if the shuttle shifting or slipping could be caused by the p0965 code.

That type of code is usually a major mechanical failure. You may want to check for metal again, I havent seen a band cause metal unless it destroys the drum it rides on. I can give you the pinpoint test for the code if you need it.

Oh ok so it's more mechanical, man I'm gonna have to take it apart again. Yeah please give me the info if you can, what do you think could have caused the problem? Do you think the problem.is still in the pulleys? Any tips you can give me ? Thanks in advance

Doesn't look like there is much to tell for this code, it basically says if it is stored, to replace the unit. These CVT's can beta you up pretty good, we dont typically build them. If it wasnt flushed, metal can flow back from the cooler back into the unit. These pullies have to be perfect, once they have issues, you just replace the whole trans.

P0965 PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID B

DTC Logic

DTC DETECTION LOGIC

DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE

CAUTION:
- Be sure to perform ""Diagnosis Procedure" " and then perform "DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE".
- Never perform "DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE" before the repairs. Doing so may result in a secondary malfunction.
- Be careful of the driving speed.

1. PREPARATION BEFORE WORK

If another "DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE" occurs just before, turn ignition switch OFF and wait for at least 10 seconds, then perform the next test.
- GO TO 2.

2. CHECK DTC DETECTION

1.Start the engine.
2.Drive the vehicle.
3.Maintain the following conditions for 20 seconds or more.

Vehicle speed : 20 km/h (13 MPH) or more

4.Stop the vehicle.
5.Check the first trip DTC.
Is "P0965"detected?
YES- Go to "Diagnosis Procedure" .
NO- INSPECTION END

Diagnosis Procedure

1. CHECK INTERMITTENT INCIDENT

Refer to "Intermittent Incident" See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Intermittent Incident.
Is the inspection result normal?
YES - Replace transaxle assembly. Refer to "Removal and Installation"
NO- Repair or replace malfunctioning parts.

hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Well it's a pretty nice way to say replace the unit, alright well I'm going to check the pulleys again I did flush the lines. I'll get started on this unit tomorrow. Thank you very much

Yes, the 900 series codes are pretty straight up to replace, thank you!