Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have not had reverse for a couple of years. We did a

Customer Question
We have not had...

We have not had reverse for a couple of years. We did a trans service with new filter and fluid but noticed the end of the reverse band was attached to the magnet when we removed the case cover. Can this be repaired with out removing the whole tranny?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

Just under 200,000 mil, milage around 15-20. But the engine runs grat and dosent burn any oil. Is it worth doing anything with?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Mercury?

It is a 2004 Moutaineer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the filter and fluid.....but noticed the end of the reverse band was broken off and attached to the drain magnet in the pan

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just if we can replace the band w/o removing it from the car

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/26/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech replied 3 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, the transmission will need to be removed and disassembled to replace the band. For that model year and current mileage, the repair would exceed the value of the vehicle.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.