Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Ford Taurus, AX4N trans. High speed trans shudder when…

Customer Question
2001 Ford Taurus, AX4N trans...
2001 Ford Taurus, AX4N trans. High speed trans shudder when shifting into any forward gear while parked. It lasts about 2 seconds then goes away. Everything else works fine, car drives great, shifts into all gears, no slipping, no shudder while driving, etc. 155k miles.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Christopher Jirak,
 replied 25 days ago
Christopher Jirak

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Let me start w/a few questions. Have you checked fluid level and condition when warm at idle. If so what are the findings. Are you able to check for any dtcs? what engine is unit?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi Chris,
Fluid level good and pink, no burnt odor. No scanner to check codes. 3.0 dohc engine. Thanks
 replied 25 days ago

Are you positive the shudder occurs on all forward gear engagements? If you have the unit in manual 1 or 2 does it still shudder? Can you perform a stall speed test car in D foot on brake gas to floor what does the max rpm read? do you have the ability to hook a line pressure gauge to test Pressures? if it is an issue w/all forward gears I would almost have to suspect an Pressure concern at this point. the Trans in question is know for stripping out the splines to torque converter resulting in a loss of all gears typically though and the trans level would be reading over full. are the any concerns when shifting to reverse?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Yesterday I have drove the car about 4 miles as well and its drives great, no slipping, cruises very good, no shudder while driving, and shifts into all gears including OD. No leaks either which is a plus!
The one issue I am having that I need your help with is I am experiencing some “shudder” only when I shift into any forward gear (OD, D, or 1) when parked. The shudder lasts about 2 seconds then its gone. The shudder is worse when cold at higher rpms then hot after idle drops to a lower rpm.
I have a 400psi trans pressure gauge so I connected it to the firewall side port on top of the trans. I pulled a chart online and they all seem good. At idle my numbers read:
Park: 60-65
Reverse: When I initially shift to reverse I see psi at 150 for about 2-3 seconds then it settles at 82
Neutral: 62
Overdrive: When I shift into OD I see pressure of 80 lbs for 2 seconds during the shuddering, then it settles at 65
Drive: 60
1st: 60
I also did some WOT psi tests during a drive.
I pressure braked Reverse and saw a max of 275
While cruising at 50mph in OD I floored it and ran it up to 70mph, saw psi of 125.
I pressure braked 1st gear and saw 225
Everything seems great except for the 2 seconds of shudder when shifting into any forward gears while parked.
 replied 25 days ago

based off this information I would suspect a pressure loss concern could be related to a worn accumulator most common. or possible band/clutch concern. based off the fact it is hesitant/shudders while applying I would suspect an accumulator since it does apply but takes time which is resulting in your delayed engement/shudder. since it is only happing when shifting at a park I would suspect a hydraulic concern over electrical at this point. I would note to perform a quick visual inspection and make sure their are no loose motor mounts allowing the transmission to rock. based of the information provided and test equipment available this is the most accurate assessment. I hop this information has helped in anyway. if so please do not forget to rate my services. thank you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Where are you seeing a pressure loss? I thought my psi numbers looked great.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
all three engine/trans mounts are good and tight, one was replaced last year (firewall side of engine).
 replied 25 days ago

p​ressures are good, but I would like to see a pressure spike right off the bat. for shifting into OD or D much like the one when going into reverse. then pressure will settle to lower value. the fact that it does not have this initial pressure spike tells me there is most likely a issue w/accumulator as that houses fluid to give an initial pressure spike/ firm engagement. the low pressure across the engagement is most likely causing the shudder. it should have a high initial spike to quickly lock friction elements into place then ramp down to the desired value. based on all other units I have performed pressure checks on.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok so the 80psi jump before settling at 65 is not a high enough spike like I’m seeing in reverse. Where is the accumulator located? Trans need to be removed to change? I have a lift.
 replied 25 days ago

attached are two photos showing servo positions the one in question is right above the lower pan towards the radiator fans. if memory serves it can be removed w/o trans removal. Note you must take care to ensure when re inserting the servo rod catches the lower band mounting tab other wise transmission disassembly would be required if you remove and are unable to re insert it to position. I have not had an issues w/this before but it is possible. if you do remove take note to inspect the bore of the servo rod for any signs of wear. elongation of bore, wear marks on servo rod. if you do have a hoist I would recommend dropping the pan to inspect the magnet for signs of metal/contaminates on the pan magnent. would also be a good time to perform a trans filter replacement as well.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
On my car that servo pictured Faces the firewall, not the cooling fans
 replied 25 days ago

y​ou are correct I do apologize as it is on the reward side. I should have known since the dipstick tube was in the photo as well.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi Christopher, attempting to order an accumulator and parts guy at Ford is perplexed, help. Took your attachments in and left without any parts. He said that picture is an OD servo on the rear firewall side of trans. He thinks you might be talking about the "neutral - drive accumulator" which is under the trans pan. Can you verify this please? Can you also verify if I still need to be cautious about reinstalling with the lower band mounting tab. Just want ot make sure we are both on the same planet. Car is a 2001 Ford Taurus, 3.0 DOHC, AX4N trans. Thank You
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi Christopher, waiting on confirmation of location please
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Christopher???? Need some direction please, your answers conflict with my local Ford parts counter person. He says the accumulator is under the trans behind the pan? I would love to have a casual idea where this neutral drive accumulator you mentioned goes please? Hello?
Christopher Jirak
Christopher Jirak
Christopher Jirak