Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My car won’t go past first gear. Transmission is not old…

Customer Question
My car won’t go...

My car won’t go past first gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission is not old it’s a 2013 jetta

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

71k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Epc and engine light are on it is idling bad and just started idling really bad today

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
3/26/2018
Transmission Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Do you have a way of retrieving fault codes from the car ( scan tool)? If you dont, some parts places will pull the codes for you for free. Also, which engine do you have? thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2.0 engine I got the code as well p2097 but does the O2 sensor cause it so that when I press the petal the RPMS WONT MOVE and then randomly jolts forward as if I was stalling out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Epc light and check engine light are on the car keeps cutting off after I switch from first and the rpms are going as low as 300 and as high as 1200 while just sitting still, sounds like a knocking as well
Transmission Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

Sorry about that I got removed from the category. I suspect you have a major engine driveability problem, Is the check engine lamp flashing as well? If this is a turbo engine, I have seen injectors stick wide open, which would correlate to your rich code that you have.

Transmission Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

I need to go test drive a vehicle, I will be away from the computer for a bit, but I will respond as soon as I return, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a turbo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the idling is rough as can be and the issue just started this morning and became much worse after I got the code read
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have seen it flashing yes with the traction control flashing and the tire gauge flashing as well at the same time
Transmission Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 1 month ago

I would inspect it for a stuck open injector. A good scan tool will allow you to read misfire moniters, which will help identify which cylinder, ( usually you will have a code for that cylinder misfiring). Another option is to remove all the spark plugs and see which is washed with fuel. If it is not obvious, with all the spark plugs removed, you can also look into each cylinder, one by one, with a flashlight,and have someone turn the key to the on position DO NOT CRANK IT. Usually, you will see the cylinder by fuel being pumped into it excessively.

Replacing a direct injection injector requires skill and special tools, as well as intake manifold removal to access the fuel rail.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand now the car won’t even stay running for more than 5 seconds, thanks for your help though I’ll look into that
Transmission Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 30 days ago

No problem, have a great day. Hopefully the information I supplied helped. Please leave me a 5 star rating, if you do not feel I deserve a 5 star rating, please let me know ahead of time and I will make sure I have done all that I can to assist you, thank you.

kyle swart
kyle swart
kyle swart