Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2014 ford focus says its in reverse so wont start but its…

2014 ford focus says...

2014 ford focus says its in reverse so wont start but its stuck in park

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Brake lights working no trouble codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried opening up the panel where the shifter is and pulled a white lever to move it around

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think im just going to have to take it in

The car is in park but it says its in reverse
Im pretty sure im just going to have to have it towed to the ford dealership but id love if you could come up with an easy fix
3/26/2018
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

With the shifter stuck in park and the indicator/message showing it is in reverse this can be due to a fault with the transmission position sensor/neutral safety switch itself at fault.This switch/sensor will fail and sends an incorrect gear position signal causing this fault here.

What has to be done unfortunately is you will have to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this issue here.It may have to be towed as when this type of fault occurs, unfortunately, there is no way to bypass it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Perfect! Thanks so much for getting back to me. Any idea how much the ford dealership is going to charge me and/or what I should tell them to help get a better price???

You're welcome

The dealer will usually charge around $100 to diagnose the fault and the repair cost will vary depending on what component needs to be replaced but it may run up around $250 or more in some cases.

I would let them know the shifter is stuck in park and the indicator is showing reverse and they can diagnose it from there.This will help narrow down what they are looking for as the fault.

Thanks Pete