Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I meed ta know, if ya can put a 6 speed allison, in a 2004…

I meed ta know...

I meed ta know, if ya can put a 6 speed allison, in a 2004 2500hd, that had a 5 speed? And is there any modifications that have ta be made?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2004 chevy silverado 2500hd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I was gonna have a tranny shop do it for me, if it could be done.

3/24/2018
Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello, My name is***** me to assist you with this. Let me first ask, is there any reason for the swap? Is there something wrong with the trans that is in the truck now? Or are you just looking to drop the RPMS down at highway speed? Thanks

The reason why I ask is because there is a company called Sun Coast that makes a conversion for you existing transmission in your truck that makes it a 6 speed. This includes a valve body and kit, does not need the trans removed from the truck. The issue between the 1000 series like you have is that tcm talks over the 1939 data link, where the newer 6 speed late05+ talks over a more complex candi network which your truck does not have. Allison has a program that will allow the trans to operate the 6 speed that they had in test vehicles but they will not release it. If a 6 speed is placed in your truck it will not work. Here is a link to that conversion kit, Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, https://www.xtremediesel.com/sun-coast-a1-6vb-tcm-lb7-allison-5-6-speed-conversion

Please don't forget to review my answers, all follow ups are no charge. Thank you for your time.

Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech