Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 89 S10 Blazer 2.8 2wd manual transmission. i need…

Customer Question
I have a 89 S10...
I have a 89 S10 Blazer 2.8 2wd manual transmission. i need to know what fluid to use in this tranny
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/24/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
This transmission take 75w-80 gl4 transmission fluid, or GM synchromesh transmission fluid.I would recommend GM synchromesh
The stuff is magic when it comes to transmissions and it's a well-known trick automotive technicians use in manual transmissions that are beginning to have grinding or bearing issues, as it quiets down and often silences completely even moderate transmission noise.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to accept next to my name is ***** ***** the only way that I am compensated for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
I don't mean to be disrespectful but i have been told several different types.Is that not for the automatic, not the manual transmission? The owners manual calls for Dexron ll parts stores or showing Dexron lll. Now i'm calling around for your stated 75W-80 gl4, and everyone is offering 80W-90. would the 80W- 90 work or is there problems it could cause?
I think there is a problem with your site. i cant tell if you are reviewing my question are not. This is the 3rd issue i have had today.
Transmission Mechanic: Chris, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am sorry that you are having issues with the site. However, the proper fluid to use in your Blazer manual transmission is indeed Dexron ATF fluid. Dexron II or III can be used. Most modern day manual transmissions use the ATF fluids. I hope that this clears up the confusion.
Chris
That vehicle could come with a Warner t - 5 which calls for ATF, or Muncie 5Lm60 which takes the above mentioned fluids. As far as running 80w90 instead if you have the Muncie, that difference in weight doesn't matter.Also sometimes people run different things for example Honda's call for 10 W 30 oil but people often put synchromesh fluid in it which is much heavier, mainly to quiet down noises due to old worn transmissions.I sincerely ***** ***** running the synchromesh would cause a problem even in the trans that called for a Dexron, and I'd run the synchromesh on an old noisy one for sure, but see which of the two transmissions you have.When I went to my parts catalog and I punched in that year and model it specifically mentioned the synchromesh which makes me think you have the Muncie. But you'll need to check.
Hope that this information is helpful and if so would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.
Thank you!
Chris