Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Will not shift into neutral to yow. 2008, no leaks, worked…

Will not shift into...

Will not shift into neutral to yow

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

2008, no leaks, worked several times towing south three weeks ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Ford?

Sport Trac Limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all fuses and easy to view connections

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Need to get it fixed so I can head north

3/25/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

The transfer case will not shift into neutral with a Ford neutral tow kit installed, correct?

I have 67,000 miles on it, and it worked three times on the way to Fla, 3 weeks ago. When I went to test it 2 days ago the transfer case would not shift into neutral or 4x4 Low. Have checked fuses and connections all appear good. It will shift into 4x4 High and back to 4x4 Auto.

The concern looks to be more so related to your 4x4 system not able to complete the shift and not the neutral tow kit. The kit only works if the 4x4 components work. Since you can not engage low then you have a 4x4 concern with the switch, relays, wiring, or shift motor. WOuld you like the Ford diag steps?

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

I know there is a module behind the glove box, does that regulate the transfer case?

The module has internal relays inside that are not serviceable and those relays are what make the motor on the transfer case move clockwise and counterclockwise.

Here are the diag steps https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzlx22fe8iz8mll/4low.pdf?dl=0

You are at an RV park I assume, I will be at one Tuesday night. These tests are tough to do at a dealer, much less a DIY at home, near impossible at an RV park. You may need to disconnect the front and rear driveshafts from the pinion flanges, wire the shaft up and out of the way and tow it that way until you get back home.

Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician