Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Alternator is not working on my 2005 Toyota Tundra. Tested…

Customer Question
Alternator is not working...

Alternator is not working on my 2005 Toyota Tundra. Tested okay at auto parts store. Tried rebuilt replacement. same problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have several other electrical problems.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/23/2018
Transmission Mechanic: ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech replied 3 months ago
ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech

HI,

Ok, so that I can pull the charging schematics, I need to know if it has the 4L or 4.7L engine

4.7L

Ok, give me a few minutes to pull the schematics and go over them

Ok, the standard and access cab having a different circuit than the double cab, so I need to know which yours is

I have a double cab
I have a double cab.

Ok, to start, there are 4 fuses to check

the 140 amp alternator fuse in engine compartment fusible link box

ALT-S 7.5 amp fuse in engine compartment fuse box

ECU-IG 10 amp fuse in fuse box at dash

IGN 1 10 amp fuse in fuse box at dash

If those are all good, let me know and will need to do some testing with multimeter

All of those fuses checked ok.
If all of these fuses are good, should I be able to disconnect the battery and the engine will continue running?

HI,

Ok, with engine idling, check voltage at black wire, at white wire and at black with yellow striped wire at alternator and let me know what each reads

On a modern vehicle, that is not a good test as it doesnt always prove an alternator is good or not, plus it is good way to short the Engine Control Module

Okay, with voltmeter, what lead go to what wire?

test each wire one at a time - positive lead to the wire you are testing an negative to a ground such as the battery negative terminal or engine block

I will be back in about 15 minutes - getting ready to eat some dinner

Okay, I'll check it while you're gone.
Yellow wire has 10.56v, White has 10.60 & Black is 0.
Let me give you a complete run down of what's going on with my truck. The initial problem was with my fuel pump not working. I dropped the tank to replaced the pump, but it was okay. I fooled around with the wires and got it working. While checking the fuel pump , i disconnected the gas line under the hood, and it sprayed gas all over the place. When I tried to start it, the wires caught afire. I replaced the fuse box with one from the junk yard. I have several problems now. The dash alarm lights stay on all the time and the headlight will not come on unless I place a negative wire to one side of the headlight relay.

HI,

Ok, you definitely have no output from the alternator as the black wire should be 13.5 to 14.7v

The other 2 should be 12v. You need to trace both them to see if there is any fire damage such as melting of the insulation or brittleness in the wire.

The white wire goes to the 7.5 amp fuse in engine compartment fuse box and the black with yellow striped wire goes to the 10 amp ECU-IG fuse in the fuse box at the dash

Sounds like I have a lot more work to do. Do you have wiring diagrams that shows where these wires go to, also something to help me troubleshoot the headlights and the dash lights?

I am not sure if I have a harness routing diagram, but let me check.

The headlamps and dash lights are very likely due to the low voltage issue you have right now with the alternator not charging. That will play havoc with all electricals.

Let me check on the routing diagram

The black wire that you were talking about, is it the one in the harness or the cable that's bolted on to the side of the alternator?

the one bolted to the side of the alternator. should be the largest diameter one

no luck on a harness routing diagram

Okay, what about the question that I asked about the black wire?

it is the one bolted to the side of the alternator. should be the largest diameter one

Thanks, I'll get back with you next week if I'm still having problems'

Ok, sounds good. I am here everyday

The alternator is not working on my 2005 Toyota Tundra. I had it tested by several shops, they all said that it is ok. I re-installed it and it's still not working. I tried a rebuilt one and have the same problem. Any suggestions?
Transmission Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago
eric remington

ok I can help

Transmission Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 2 months ago

you want schematics?. I will get you all schematics you want for a fee and twenty minutes of phone time assistanceif needed

Transmission Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

New tech here , do you still require help?