Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2006 gmc envoy is stuck in 4 low when i got to switch it…

Customer Question
My 2006 gmc envoy is...
My 2006 gmc envoy is stuck in 4 low when i got to switch it over the light just blinks and go back to 4low how can i fix this? I need to go to work?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/22/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Try driving under 3 mph and when under 3 mph shift to neutral then see if it will shift from 4low back to 4 high.In some cases, this will work more than just sitting still in neutral as sometimes the transfer case binds up keeping it from shifting out of 4 low.

If this does not work the most common cause is the shift actuator on the transfer case itself.It fails internally and will not shift out of 4 low causing this issue here.

You can usually remove it from the transfer case and take a crescent wrench and grasp the shift shaft and manually shift it back into 2wd high.I have done this before leaving off the transfer case shift motor just temporarily to then drive it until you can have it replaced.

The shift motor is located on the side of the transfer case and has 4 bolts holding it on.It is long and black in color.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I just did what u said it did not shift out so im confussed about what else i can do
I cant pay another 26 dollars im about to lose my job over this:(
Do i have to take something apart to fix it myself

No problem with the phone call offer.That is an offer that is offered to all customers and we can continue here instead.

Unfortunately, you would have to remove the actuator from the transfer case to manually shift the shaft on the transfer case all the way back to the other direction to get it into 2wd while the transmission is in neutral with the emergency brake set and wheels blocked.It will have a seal on the transfer case so you can leave the actuator off of the transfer case for now and drive it carefully to work until you can have it repaired.But this is the only option besides having it diagnosed and repaired properly.

Thanks Pete