Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

01 ram 2500 5.9 gas was shifting odd while driving home last…

01 ram 2500 5.9...

01 ram 2500 5.9 gas was shifting odd while driving home last night just went out to go to store and wont shift into gear d or r finally gradually went into gear fluid is full

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Brake switch is good trans was rebuilt and upgraded 3 years ago approximatly 40.000 miles ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havnt had time today to get into it its dark here now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am an ASE L1 auto tech just not overly familiar with this auto trans

3/22/2018
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so it has an issue going into any gear? Or it went into gear but would not upshift properly> No warning lights on ? No codes stored?

I just pulled all codes got p1281 ( engine cold too long ) probably t-stat and p0455 witch I know is my evap purge valve solenoid. No trans codes using a Modus Ultra scanner

Ok P0128 is usually engine cold too long and a thermostat issue. Can you elaborate more on the transmission issue and when it acts up? Is it a cold or hot temp problem? What exactly does it do, slip into neutral? Does the engine seem to have a lack of power?

It takes 15-20 seconds to engage into any gear then just starts to creep before fully engaging both reverse or drive temp. Not effecting any difference

Ok and once it does engage forward or reverse gears, it upshifts properly into all gears? So its justa delayed engagement basically?

it was hunting for gears on the way home last night i didn't try to drive it on the road today. because of the engagement problem.

Ok you got one of two things going on. If it has a delayed engagement at first, it can be aerting for fluid if the seal for the transmission filter is not sealing properly and causing a lack of fluid pressure. Worse case scenario is an actual cut or nicked seal for the forward clutch piston/clutch pack which is applied in both forward and reverse gears. As for it hunting for gears, the transmission range sensor could be at fault. Monitor the transmission range sensor with your scan tool when it is hunting through geas. It should match the shifter position. It reports to the pcm when you are in OD or neutral, if it thinks its going into neutral when in OD it can cause it to slip. It can also cause the delayed engagement. A line pressure test would need to be done if these items check out and you still have a concern since you have no solenoid codes.

hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you, ***** ***** need more help or information? I strive for a 5 star rating if possible.

No thank you

Ok, thank you.