Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It is stuck in netural and will not change gears I got in…

It is stuck in...

It is stuck in netural and will not change gears I got in started it up and put in gear itdied would not shift out of nuteral

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

About 212

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

I had transmission done about 2 AND HALF YEARS AGO NO DID NOT CHECK BRAKE SWITCH

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We tried to push and roll back but nothing happen thought it was stuck

3/21/2018
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, what kind of vehicle is this, year, make, model, engine size? Its an automatic transmission? You have a second post saying it is stuck in neutral? The shifter is stuck in gear and wont move?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2001 ford escape xlt v6 and yes automatic and it is stuck in reverse I started it up went to put it in gear but it just would not catch then just stuck in reverse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Ok so the shifter moves in all gear ranges but the transmission appears to be stuck correct? Is the transmission fluid full and does it look or smell burnt/black? No warning lights on?

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no warning light
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haft to check fluid

Ok I just need to know if the shifter is broken or the transmission is stuck internally. If the shifter cable is broken the shifter will feel sloppy or binding and the shifter cable would need replacement. If the shifter cable is ok and the shifter moves but it will only move in reverse,then this would be an internal transmission failure. A transmission rebuild or replacement would be required. If you need more help or information please let me know If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or you still there

Yes I am hee thank you, ***** ***** need more help?

Cary York
Phone call session started
hdgene
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician