Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an automatic 2014 GX 460 Lexus SUV with 52,400 miles…

Customer Question
I have an automatic...

I have an automatic 2014 GX 460 Lexus SUV with 52,400 miles and I am experiencing skipping in the tires when I excelerate or is going up a hill. It usually happens when I am going from 3rd gear around 32 mph, or it happens going into 4th gear from 39 - 42 mph. It happens now, in the last month, 95% of the time I drive the car. I don’t know for sure but it feels like the transmission is slipping.The only thing that has changed is that I have used regular gosoline 8n the car of recent.

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

I’ve notice this happening approximately a month - a month and half now. I took the vehicle into Lexus about two weeks ago and when the technician rode with me the slipping didn’t happen, and since then it’s gotten worse. The technician talked about if the car is cold and in the first 15 mins before it warms up it sometimes has a slipping in the driving but once it’s warm it goes away. I didn’t necessarily believe that they couldn’t do anything if he didn’t get to experience what I was talking about.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GX 460 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I’m not fixing anything because I have no knowledge of repairs but as a person who drives this car, I know what I’m experiencing. Is there anything you.advise me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Could you please explain in more detail what you mean by skipping?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From a non-technician its difficult but I will do my best. As you accerlerate between 30-42 miles moving in and up thru 3rd and 4th gears you hear and feel the transmission slips or skips. its the same feeling when you run your car off the side of the road and in some cases they have ridges along the right side, that are like small bump that you go over in a row to alert and wake up the driver. Its the same feeling as if you were going over small bumps.The reason I'm familiar with this slipping/skipping acceleration is because I had a previous vehicle and I drove the vehicle for some time because the slipping/skipping wasn't bad but over time it got worse. When it was repair it was a very expensive removal of transmission and replacement of a rebuilt torque converter and a new vaivebody (? not sure of spelling) on bench.

Ok I understand and let me ask you this, when it's skipping would you say perhaps a slight shuddering between those gears?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does shuddering mean?

I have just checked our tech stream files and have the info you need to have done. It is quite extensive so I would recommend you request a live chat service via phone so I can go over this with you in detail. Please not if I cannot satisfy you your guaranteed under this sight's 100% money back guarantee.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks, ***** ***** like a refund at this point. Thanks
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician