Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My vehicle was working fine when I bought it, but then one…

Customer Question
Hello, so my vehicle...

Hello, so my vehicle was working fine when I bought it, but then one day the vehicle became a huge paperweight on me.. it would shift into gear but will not move in whatever gear is selected.. it did move a bit forward in drive but wouldn’t move in either gear and I couldn’t push the vehicle in neutral either.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The vehicle is a 2004 Jeep Liberty, so about 14 years and no I have not..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes that was the plan.. well like I said previously, it felt as if the vehicle was fighting against the brakes and before it wouldn’t move in drive or anything, then I looked at the rear brake calipers and saw that the main piston was pushing against the brake pad on both rear wheels. So I replaced the brake calipers and that only allowed the vehicle to move a few inches forward when I tried accelerating but wouldn’t move in reverse whatsoever

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all that I know as of right now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vehicle revs fine, I don’t hear any grinding or metal on metal noises in the transmission when selecting gear.
3/21/2018
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You may have a transmission or other drivetrain issue but I would first suspect a broken emergency brake shoe if you're unable to push the vehicle in neutral even with the engine off. If you didn't remove the rotors when the calipers were replaced then the first thing I would recommend is removing the rotors and having a look at the shoes. There is a very good chance at least one is broken and the pieces are wedging between the rotor and shoe backing plates.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician