Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am stuck in 4x4- the transmission will not engage out of…

Customer Question
I am stuck in...

I am stuck in 4x4- the transmission will not engage out of four wheel srive

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

No clue. Borrowed this car...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lexus?

Checking now....

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Lexus?

2003 LX470

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I saw a thread on this site about trying to reverse, but when trying any gear out of 4x4, the gear won’t engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really,

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/19/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

Click on link to view the testing procedure needed here

Now in case it was a electrical glitch ,you can try a simple master reset ,if you can not run the test in the pdf file

If that master reset below does not work for you then You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

unless we have a mechanical internal transfer case or transmission failure,but you would have noticed a slip while driving

unless linkage of trans shifter came off ,in that case needs raised on lift or crawl under it to visually inspect

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.