Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It goes into gear but won't accelerate. No emergency break…

Customer Question
It goes into gear...

It goes into gear but won't accelerate

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Yes no emergency break on and no check engine light and turns on just fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

08 cls550

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CLS550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm doing it myself...so I ordered the shifter cable so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have removed at the whole part of the shifter and not short the whole shifter should be also changed my big question is computerized scanner computer to reprogram and where to start again

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 3 days by:
3/22/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt