Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 07 Mazda 3 2.0 Automatic, doesn’t move in R, D or M. 3rd…

Customer Question
My 07 Mazda 3...

My 07 Mazda 3 2.0 Automatic, doesn’t move in R, D or M

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes 3rd transmission I’ve installed and all do the same thing, my ABS light is on and when I put it gear it says the car is in 3rd gear and revs high but at standstill

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

That’s on as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s pretty much it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Transmission Mechanic: hdgene, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, is the failure you have now, the same failure you had that made you replace the transmission? You are using used transmissions? Is the fluid burnt? Does the shifter move into all gear ranges properly?

same failure, the 1st transmission is the cars original Tranny I had to switch the engine, the original transmission has 130K miles, the 2nd one has 75K miles but all give me the same thing they don’t engage and the oil isn’t burtnt

Take a look at the shifter cable, make sure it is adjusted properly and engaging into each gear properly. You can also disconnect the shift cable and have someone manually move the shifter while you hold your foot on the brake and they engage each gear. I find it doubtful ( but possible) that all 3 transmissions have the same exact issue. A diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool should be done if the shift cable and linkage looks correct to see if the transmission position sensor is reading the correct gear the shifter is put into.

The shifter cable works fine it like it always has and I’m not getting any codes

Im only saying that since the engine was out it can be out of adjustment. You need to check the transmission position sensor to see if it is reading the correct gear range with the shifter. If thats ok then it could be a bad used transmission.

I understand but I found it hard to believe that all 3 transmissions are bad because the original was working fine and now none of them work, the car turns on fine and the car revs fin in parking, the only light that light up are the ABS and they brakes and fluid is fine

Thats why im saying to check the range sensor.

Yeah not the range sensor, is it possible it’s another sensor? Why does it say it’s in 3rd gear just by taping the gas and the car not going anywhere
Transmission Mechanic: hdgene, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

Does it say its in first but the trans is in 3rd gear?

No it’s says 3rd gear and the car is not even moving, 3rd gear the moment you put in in Drive but at 0mph

Im not sure which direction to point you towards based on the information you are giving. I will opt out and see if another expert can be of more assistance.