Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Was driving an hour ago just fine in high gear and all the…

Customer Question
Was driving an hour...

Was driving an hour ago just fine in high gear and all the sudden I thought I had hit something with a thud and jolt. At the same time the check engine light came on and the truck was like it was in neutral. I moved shifter down to third and it caught but will not upshot again. Had to drive remaining 5 miles to my house in what I think was third gear, maybe second.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 titan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. Just got home.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/17/2018
Transmission Mechanic: hdgene, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, does it have reverse gear and all its lower gears, just goes to neutral in 4th gear? Is it full of transmission fluid, does it look or smell burnt? Do you have a scan tool to pull diagnostic trouble codes? How many miles are on the trans?

Hello?