Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have to hold it in drive to go forward. Shifts to parg. K…

Have to hold it...

Have to hold it in drive to go forward. Shifts to parg

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

K and neutral but won’t shift to drive. No leaks, 90000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2011 Compass

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took console apart looking for broken shift cable bushing but looks ok. It’s like it’s binding and can pull it into drive and hold it there but if I let go it goes back to neutral. Can also slam it into drive and it will sometimes stay.

3/16/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

If you get a helper to stay in the car. Then open the hood and disconnect the linkage from the transaxle. Does the trans shift manually without a problem? While disconnected does the shifter move smoothly without binding?

found a walnut jamming the shift arm on the transaxle at the shift cable attach point. !!

Glad you found the cause of the issue just from checking where I wanted you to diagnose.

CHris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician