Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 boxster and today it was very hard to get the…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 boxster and today it was very hard to get the car into gear when shifting from 1st to 2nd and also downshifting. I also could hear a clunk when i would slow down or increase speed in low gears

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

I assume its original I have only had the car for a year and a half no leaking anywhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing myself I just noticed the problem today

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I have 81000 miles on it

3/16/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'm assuming that this is the manual transmission so

the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.
If you have difficulty getting fluid out then, on a lot of modern cars its far easier to use a vacuum bleed kit to pull the fluid through

like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bleeder-Tester-Vacuum-Motorbike-Bleeding/dp/B00HHXRBWI

If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.

Then check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes
If your gearbox is meant to use GL4 oil (the Syntrans is GL5) then use Redline MT90 instead

If you still have issues with the hydraulics and its good after bleeding but then gets worse after a few days / hours, then I'd try leaving the clutch pedal held down overnight by bracing the pedal against the seat base with a piece of wood or similar, this is to try and force the seals inside the slave to take a set in the right orientation as over time they can shrink and dw air back in when you take your foot off the pedal.

This shrinkage isn't enough to leak any fluid but the gap is big enough to draw air in (gas being harder to seal than fluid) if this doesn't work I'm sorry to say that the slave cylinder is going to need changing.

also if the fluid is dark in colour this is a sign the seals are breaking up

Lastly if none of this helps then its possible the clutch is breaking up and no longer completely releasing and creating ‘drag’ - so in which case the transmission will have to come off to check / replace the clutch

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. One thing I noticed today on my way home is that the clunk noice happens when in gear at lower speeds when I eithe accelerate or decelerate almost like something is sliding Seems like I don’t hear it when I shift from 3rd to 4th gear. I will probably try to get it to a shop since I don’t have anyplace to do this on my own. What would be the worst case senario.

Hello

Ok thanks for the extra information this could be worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

worst case is you will need to strip and rebuild the transmission with new synchro cones

however I doubt that its that serious

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer