Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

What would cause a transfer case to break apart ?? Chokee…

What would cause a...

What would cause a transfer case to break apart ??

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

Chokee trail hawk 2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

????

3/16/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

are we talking internally the interal parts failed and you gear noises ?

or the housing broke ?

lack of fluid , a leak developed and went low on fluid is one

internal failure ?

excessive 4wd operation ?

tell me more on it ,how this happened ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I am not repairing it myself.Never been off road. very little 4 wheel. driving when loud clanking then stopped moving. no oil spots on garage floor so no leak. clanking when moving gear shift. auto trans.

and happened suddenly ?

can you tell me if the 4wd can be engaged now or not ?

what warning lights on dash if any ?

can still drive in 2wd with no noise

Warning lights..check engine..check brakes..check trans.. all of a suggen no warning light until after happened. will move but very slow.. will not hold in park

stop driving it and have it towed so u want do more damage

when we have major failure , most module will go offline , after repairs they will clear the faults and see what comes back if any

Towed to dealer.. they said the transfer case ...don't know why it happened ..said it just happens but there must be a reason . do you know why this would happen????

yes i do , bad units , they fail all the time and the parts they use now when rebuild are upgraded that is what my rebuild-er told me

that is my experience ,they fail internally , i do not rebuild in house at my shop, I send them out for rebuild

the dealer want tell u that offcourse

They said they will replace with new ...because it happened once is it more apt to happen again???
Is there a chance that it damaged the trans when this happened??? Or anything else ???

no ,usually on tranfer case no other damage

was replace with used prior ?

you need a new upgraded one one or will keep happening

No never replaced... 40000 miles
Had it serviced they said that oil leak needed fixed that the timming cover was leaking again no spots on garage floor.... i had that fixed ...2 days later is when this happened.....would that have anything to do with it ???

wow, i see, to be honest they should not be related ,with leak on timing cover .

might one take to a different place

they said it leaks and u do not see spots on floor! ,get a 2nd shop opinion and compare will be my advice on it

Chad Farhat

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800