Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a Range Rover 2007 My gear is stuck in P and the

I have a Range...

I have a Range Rover 2007 My gear is stuck in P and the engine won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I put the key into ignition, I turn it to start the engine, the engine tries to start but it won't I got yesterday an error saying " Check break pads "

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just tried to start the engine...nothing else Once I turn the key, the engine tries to start and I can move my gear out of P But the engine still won't start and when I take the gear out of P the engine totally dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think this would be all. Yesterday I got the first time this error " Check break pads " but the car still worked perfectly. Today I drove it 2 minutes than the engine suddenly stopped and it doesn't start again Plus the gear is stuck into P until I try to start the engine

Hello
Sorry to insist, but I would like to know if I will get an answer today.
It’s actually the first time I’m using your service
My estimated waiting time was 8 minutes and I am waiting since 5 hours. Could you kindly let me know ? Thank you !
3/16/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

tell me about your brake lights in rear when you press brake pedal do they come one

with key out ,are the brake lights staying on ?

we have a brake light switch under the pedal could be our issue ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Hi Chad ! Thanks for your help !
The breaks don’t seem to have any problem. All lights are working, hand break button working.
The problems are the following:
1. Yesterday I received an alert in the dashboard with a red exclamation sign and the message “check break pads”. I kept driving the car maybe one hour after this
2. This morning I started the car, the alert was still there, I left and I drove maybe 2 minutes when the engine just stopped.
3. Now when the engine is off, the gear doesn’t go out of Parking. If I try to start the engine, I put yhe key in ignition, I turn the key to start the engine, they key stays in Driving position and the engine tries to start. It never dies. It’s continuously trying to start. But it doesn’t start in the end. While key in ignition, I can move the gear, but one I take it out of P, the engine automatically dies ( stops trying to start )

we also have shift interlock solenoid under the shifter assembly that could be why not releasing, if the brake lights are working correctly , then most likely not the brake switch be the shifter solenoid , make sure you check all fuses in the inside and under hood fuse box

how about our brake lights ?

when you insert the key in ignition and turn to on , can you move it from park to drive sitting still when pressing brake ?

to answer punctually your questions: I would like to fix it myself but I doubt it’s possible. I am looking to see if any chance to at least start the car and move it yo a garage without using the recovery service. Also I would like to know what can be the cause of this issue.

Brake lights switch location ,click on link t oview

get to the light switch under the pedal, but yiur hand on it , when press the pedal u should hear a click , do you ?

Got it. I’m checking and come back to you.

get to the light switch under the pedal, but your hand on it , when press the pedal u should hear a click , do you ?

ok sounds good i m here , i will try to help you , on it

try also starting in neutral position ,does it start ?

check all fuses , check the connector on the pedal switch , take the cover the shifter assembly , look at connector ,any burned marks ,if non of that works then You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

But that brake switch very common, the shift interlock solenoid inside the shifter will not release if it does not see the brake signal, to allow to start up

the brake lights switch available local parts store, or ebay .

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).

You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks a lot ! I will reach the car in 20 minutes and let you know. In the meantime, please help me understand: is it possible there is a connexion between the breaks problem and the fact that engine doesn’t start ??? It seems a bit strange
I understand the breaks and gear connexion. But I was thinking the fact that the engine does not start is a totally different issue which is not related to the breaks

ok i will be here, i m here all day ,just reply back

we have few things we need to check

we have switch at transmission, called trans range switch, if the gear is in park but is sending a signal it is reverse or drive , it will not send power to our starter

same thing no brake light signal, no shifter movement or starter power

this the starting circuit for it ,click on link to view, let me know if you can view it

The starter solenoid is energised by a signal from the Engine Control Module (ECM) when the ignition switch is moved to the crank position. When engine cranking is requested, the ECM checks that a valid key code has been received before granting the crank request.

we have few things we need to check

We have a starter relay in the under hood fuse box , take cover and look for it

we can test form there

Chad Farhat