Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Thanks for being available to take questions. The

Hi, thanks for being...

Hi, thanks for being available to take questions. The transmission fluid cooler line going into the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side is leaking fluid. Is the fix to replace the radiator or is it a matter of replacing a fitting connecting line to radiator? It's an 2008 Cadillac DTS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No, think I've included everything. Thanks.

3/15/2018
Gm Tech Cam
Gm Tech Cam, Service Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

You will be able to replace just fitting for the side that is leaking. You may loose some coolant while you have the fitting off, but its not a difficult procedure, you can thread the old one out and thread the new one in.

For parts, speak to your local part store, Dorman makes the replacement fittings.

Hey, Cam, thanks for your quick response. I'd heard two different opinions on how to the fix problem: replace radiator and replace fitting. The second opinion was from a radiator shop, a lot less costly. Thanks for confirming.

Considering how inexpensive the fitting is, I would always try that first.

I feel its worth a shot to try that first then if it does not, do the radiator.

Gm Tech Cam
Gm Tech Cam, Service Technician
Cool, will do. Appreciate it.
Hi, again. We'd talked about a transmission fluid leak on my '08 Cadillac DTS coming from where the fluid cooler line goes into the radiator, possibly a bad radiator or radiator fitting. I've driven the car around for about five days since then and the leak is gone, no more leaking. Checked antifreeze and ATF levels and they're OK. Wondering why it stopped leaking. Would appreciate your thoughts/feedback.

That is odd. Usually we need to replace the fitting for it to stop. Did you have a temperature change recently, did it warm up?

Over those five days, temperature has remained pretty much the same (high 60's - mid 70's) except for a day or two that temps went up a bit higher but not by much (up to mid 80's). These warmer temp days happened now and then and were separated by 'cooler' days. Meanwhile, I'm happy that the leak is gone but concerned that it might return and in bigger way while on the road. That's why I'm not venturing out too far for now. Good thing for second cars.