Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006, Mercedes-Benz E-350 and occasionally it

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006, Mercedes-Benz E-350 and occasionally it doesn't auto-shift from first to second to third gear after a full stop, staying in second gear, and on other rarer occasions when shifting from Reverse to Drive stays in Neutral, both requiring an engine turn off and restart before being able to proceed.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Original transmission, Haven't checked the brake switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried fixing it, It is actually my girlfriend's car and both situations have recently happened when I am driving it, so thought I would try to help. She has always had the local M-B dealership do her routine maintenance at very large expenses for minor fixes, eg. light on dashboard went out.......charged her $373.32 to fix the little dash light.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Looks like they are taking this woman for a long walk. She complained that her trunk latch was not operating. This is how it was written up. Check trunk operation 3/4 hour labor charge $75.00

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/15/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

do you have a scanner that can read the transmission control unit for fault codes?