Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Sometimes runs high RPMs and won't shift into 3rd, 4th....

Sometimes runs high RPMs...

Sometimes runs high RPMs and won't shift into 3rd, 4th.... but it doesn't do it ALL the time.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

2004 wrangler. 117k miles. fluid is full.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. i am a mechanical idiot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so...

3/14/2018
Mopar_Certified
Mopar_Certified, Factory Trained

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Has your check engine light turned on?

Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

CEL is on... has been for a while. Fluid level is full.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, the first step is to find out what fault codes are stored. do you have a local parts store that could read the codes for you? They typically do this free of charge.

P0714 trans temps.
p0562 battery voltage low.
p0122 TPS low.
p0123 TPS high.
p0891 trans relay output always on.
p0124 TPS apps....
the "mechanic" at ken towery jotted them down for me.
hello?
I have to be somewhere at 5. how can I contact you directly?

Thanks for your patience. It is a regular work day for me and assisting you at the same time.

OK, so it looks like you may have more than one issue but it likely starts with replacing the throttle position sensor or tps.

The tps has a great influence on both how the engine runs and also how the transmission shifts s that needs to be corrected first.

In fact, I would do that and then erase the codes and road test the vehicle. Some of the other codes may be related to the tps issue, but if they return then we can deal with them at that point.

awesome! Thanks Mark!

You're very welcome!

Mopar_Certified
Mopar_Certified, Factory Trained