Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The car is having shifting problems fault code p0730

Customer Question
The car is having...

The car is having shifting problems fault code p0730 incorrect gear ratio.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

No leaks I have a 2008 vw Passat comfort wagon 2.0t

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

No my husband has been trying to fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Crank senor and oil cooler was just recently replace so im not sure if this is causing the problem.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when car is engaged in drive car feels as if it slows down itself its displaying fault code p730 and also p0722 which is related to speed sensor oil cooler went out and transmission fluid was backing up in coolant reservoir.
3/14/2018
Transmission Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and instructor replied 1 month ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if the oil cooler went out and some of trans fluid was backing up in reservoir car could be low on trans fluid ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
valve body was replaced 4 years ago

That's possible, but this testing is paramount at this point to confirm what is working and what isn't.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link in case you need me again for followup questions.

Transmission Mechanic: John, ASE Master Technician replied 1 month ago
John, ASE Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** am a VW tech.

Incorrect gear ratio codes are always from the transmission slipping internally. This may have started due to low level condition and slipping a little between shifts or on start up but by the point it is bad enough to set a code the damage inside the transmission is beyond repair short of a rebuild or replacement. This unfortunately is also a common VW problem.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the code that is coming up is p0732 fault code.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
these are some of the causes of this code.
•Low transmission fluid level
•Dirty transmission fluid
•Faulty Shift Solenoids
•Shift Solenoids harness is open or shorted
•Shift Solenoids circuit poot electrical connection
•Transmission mechanical problems
•Transmission hydraulic control circuit

Yes, however I have seen this a number of times and the only permanent fix I have ever seen is transmission rebuild or replacement. Incorrect gear ratio is the result of the transmission slipping internally. As the previous expert said there are some tests you can do to verify proper operation of the solenoids as well as checking fluid level and condition. My experience has been mechanical transmission failure at this point. Both codes are incorrect gear ratio codes. (P0730 and P0732).

John, ASE Master Technician