Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 5.9 6L desiel Cummings that…

I have a 2006 dodge...
I have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 5.9 6L desiel Cummings that will not go into 2 gear or will not go into reverse it move forward in 1st rpm goes to 3, 4 at 20 mph
3/14/2018
Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Good morning and thank you for the request.How does the fluid look and have you connected a scantool to seenif any codes are setting?
Im going to change the oil the transmission oil i change when i replace the solenoid and sensor late week i have a scan tool a regular one or is there one for desiel i need to use
Thanks for the reply!!I would first have the codes scanned and there is no special tool for the Diesel. I would have it scanned first because if you have a bad sensor you can change it while you have the pan off.If you get the codes post them
Here so I can explain what is happening and how to repair it.Talk soon,
Brad
P0073 P0107 that all thats coming up
Do u think i need a new transmission when i open the pan thete was no metal but the oil was a little dark and i change it and the filter
Did you close this question?
I need to know if my transmission is bad

Thanks for the reply and I have your question opened back up..

Ok the codes you have are not trans codes... If it won't go into reverse you will need to check your rear band because reverse is front clutches and rear band.. If you drop the pan and see excessive metal I would have it rebuilt or if you see the rear band has failed...

To be honest if you lost reverse then changing the sensors in the valvebody will not correct the issues.. if it didn't start in 1st or wouldn't change into 2nd then it's likely a sensor issue but with no reverse there is a good chance you will need to have it rebuilt as I suspect you have quite a few miles on the transmission..

Let me know,

Brad

Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Can a transmission band be fix without removing the transmission

I'm sorry the front pump will need to come out to replace the front band so yes the transmission will need to come out..

Is it hard to do once the transmission is out