Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Audi AllRoad A6 2005/6 model. Car went in for oil seep on…

Customer Question
Audi AllRoad A6 2005/6...

Audi AllRoad A6 2005/6 model. Car went in for oil seep on rocker cover gaskets. Following replacement and engine rebuild the engine ran but then shutdown and wouldn't restart. Engine stripped down again and heads, valves, injectors, fuel pumps, fuel pressure all checked and refurbished professionally as required. Engine rebuilt and ran on test for 2 hours then on test after one hour the following day just stopped again and will not restart. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

220,000 miles and serviced regularly twice per year or as required. No expense spared at any time and all genuine Audi parts used.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Allroad yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not me. Professional mechanic who has maintained the car for me since 60,000 miles. Trust him implicitly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My mechanical knowledge is limited but thought I would try a forum to see if there was something obvious but simple that is being overlooked. Mechanic is stressing out over this as he has checked everything that he can think of. On the few occasions after the rebuilds the car has started easily and run but when shut down and then restarted birth times it has run for an hour on each occasion and then just stopped for no obvious reason - just seems to die.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/13/2018
Transmission Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Thank you for all of the history information that you have provided. I find it interesting that the engine was re-torn down and no fault found, and still has what appears to be the original issue, of shutting off and not re-starting. With this information provided, it would seem as if there is something outside of a internal, mechanical issue with the engine causing the concern. I am going to assume that this is the 2.7 liter twin turbo. To start on this issue I will first require a auto scan from a scan tool, ( this is a read out of all fault codes of every computer that the car has). If this cannot be provided, I will opt out and let others assist you, thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Kylie- the car is a 2.5L diesel. I will ask the mechanic for a diagnostic scan. I know from asking previously that there was nothing significant coming up on the scans that would result in a complete shut down during running. Colin
Kyle - will email the mechanic tonight and ask for a copy of the latest diagnostic scan. Will forward the info to you and if you see anything significant on the diagnostics you are better talking to my mechanic. Colin
Transmission Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 4 months ago

ok thank you.