Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2004 Volvo C70 convertible automatic transmission works…

My 2004 Volvo C70...

My 2004 Volvo C70 convertible automatic transmission works beautifully for about the first half hour. Then, when it gets hot, it starts clunking heavily into low gear when coming to a stop. Then, a little later, it starts going in and out of the low two gears as I take off. Could it be just a cooling issue, or what do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

Yes, it's original. Currently about 114,000 miles. The car is in perfect shape and has only been maintained by the dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Like I said, the car has only been maintained by the dealer. I complained about the transmission, but they only talk about a $5000 replacement. So, I just this week took it to a local transmission guy, and they said the transmission lock-up doesn't always hold ... because when I took it in, the Check Engine light was on, and the lock-up arrow (When "W" is pressed) was blinking. I suspect they merely analyzed the code and did not actually test drive the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It worked much better for a couple months when I just kept the "W" engaged, eliminating the low gear. But it began to vibrate a little as the car slowed. The time the Check Engine light came on, it was under load at very low speed with the "W" depressed.

3/13/2018
Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. Usually the problem with these transmissions can be solved by removing the valve body cleaning the valve body out and putting a solenoid kit in. What happens is overtime small particles of debris and normal clutch material get embedded in the solenoids and then the shift solenoid can't move the valve inside freely so when it bangs into gear what you're feeling is the shift solenoid finally moving after fluid pressure becomes strong enough. Usually the hard parts and clutches don't go bad in these Transmissions It's usually the valve body and solenoids. What I would recommend doing is taking it to an Aamco let them service it and get an estimate on them removing the valve body and putting a solenoid kit in it. This is an Asian Warner Transmission. And a lot of Nissan's and Toyotas use the same unit so they see a lot of these. Does that help answer your question? Thank you.
That sounds great! I will take your advice. Thanks.
Absolutely thank you transmission shop shouldn't charge more than $1,000 for that and it usually fixes them for a good long while. If you're all set please don't forget to write the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. Let us know if you have any further questions thank you
Edward