Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No reverse 1995 dodge 2500 5.9l. Adjuated the rear band to…

Second opinion] no reverse 1995...
Second opinion] no reverse 1995 dodge 2500 5.9lJA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?Customer: yes.. adjuated the rear band to 72 inch pounds and backed it of 2 turnsJA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: reverse worked fine.. pulled out a stuck truck and a week later noe reverse. I do not know if this is related
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, is the transmission fluid burnt? Does it have all of its other gears? Does it act like its locked up when in reverse or does it roll like its in neutral?

Fluid is good. Clean not burnt, all gears are fine but reverse . No engine braking in low gear either. Today all seems ok in all gears including reverse
Either the clutch pack is over heated and slipping, the reverse clutch pack piston seals have a leak or there is a sticking valve in the valve body. Towing/pulling a vehicle can cause this. Since its,ok now. Monitor it for future issues. If it flares like its,in neutral it's a loss of hydraulic pressure.
When reverse was not working...I did s pressure test at the rear servo and had 250 psi. I shifted into low and came up 4 to reverse and had it at 1600 rpm. When it was acting up, it would go into reverse but just slip terribly. My first step was change fluid, filter, and adjust rear band to 72" pounds and back it off 2 turns. This helped but barely noticeable.i have another transmission in it's way here and am hesitant to change it out now ( used tranny)
I also adjusted front bad since I read front band and low reverse band apply together to make reverse
Well if it's working now I would let it ride unless it failed again.
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician