Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

At low speeds, and not all the time, it does not wish to go…

At low speeds, and not...
At low speeds, and not all the time, it does not wish to go forward. I have to step on the gas just to get it into a parking spot. At random times while driving, idling and even hours after shutting it off, I hear the "snick-snick" sound. Same exact sound as when I turn the ALL/4LO/4HI knob on the dash.
At random times while driving, the "service 4x drive" light comes on with a chime. It stays on up to 30 seconds but never more.
Periodically, upon startup, the "check oil" lamp stays on. Does not go out unless I shut off the vehicle and restart. All fluid levels good.
Lastly, the front and back windshield fluid motors do not work 99% of the time.
A dealership in Tucson had my Durango for 4 days and said they could not recreate any of these issues even though 5 minutes after picking it up, all symptoms continued. My Dad's mechanic says it's the Front Power Module. $1300 NEW. I can get used online for $250.
Can u tell me whether this is a FPM problem?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/14/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It's possible that the front control module is causing this but it isn't likely. The transfer case motor is shifting when not intended because the FCM is seeing an incorrect transfer case motor position signal. It's possible that the issue is with the FCM, wiring, or the integrated power module, but you most likely have a bad transfer case motor.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this an item I can install easily or something the mechanics will have to do? I could easily do the FCM.

The transfer case motor isn't hard to replace if you're used to that sort of repair.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician