Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My car is in gear and won’t go into park so I can start it.

Customer Question
My car is in...

My car is in gear and won’t go into park so I can start it

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Where is the brake switch located ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

I jus need it to get into neutral from drive even tho the car is off

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Dodge?

It’s a 2005 Neon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?

It jus happened as I was gettin gas...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Jus how to manually get it from drive to neural or park so it will start

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/13/2018
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You could have a few things going on depending on exactly what you're experiencing. The problem may be the shift cable, the shifter itself, or there may be an issue at the trans, it's possible that the cable has just popped off at either end or something foreign could be blocking movement.

Are you physically unable to move the shifter?

Or does the shifter move with no resistance but nothing happens at the trans?

The shifter goes up m down but its in drive so it won’t start

If the shifter moves with no resistance but the trans doesn't actually shift then either the manual valve arm at the trans is off, the cable has popped off at either the trans or shifter, or the shaft cable has broken.