Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My car has been having trouble lately. i think it may be the…

My car has been...

My car has been having trouble lately. i think it may be the transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

I'm honestly not sure. Whenever i change gears, there is about a 3-second gap from when i change it to when i actually can drive or reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2012 nissan altima also, theres jerking sometimes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i am not. I haven't tried anyhting yet. I am going to take my car to jiffy lube's later on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just his intake on the signs so far and what he thinks might be the problem

3/12/2018
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This can be an issue with a component like the transmission torque converter or a fault with a band or clutch slipping internally in the transmission.I would have the fluid checked to make sure the fluid level is at the correct level.If the fluid level is found to be o.k. then you will need to have the transmission tested to locate the fault.

The first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your vehicle.If a code is set you would then be able to diagnose the fault from the code set to locate the issue for repair.

If no codes are set then the torque converter and transmission would need tested and inspected which will involve some special transmission test equipment to do so that a repair shop or transmission shop would have to do this testing with.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir i was going to have the fluid checked today. i feel like that is the issue because i dont think it has been checked in awhile

If it is low or if there is any contamination in it this can cause this fault.This would be the first thing to have checked then codes and testing from there.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Pete, Automotive Mechanic