Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The car transmission. Just chang÷d it. 2008 Chrysler town…

Customer Question
The car transmission Mechanic's...

The car transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Just chang÷d it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2008 Chrysler town and country 3.8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

It won't drive it's like the trans is gone but not sure

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

With the engine running is the check engine light on at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No
Hello

Do you hear any whining noises or any other noises from the transmission when in drive or reverse when trying to drive it?

No only revving noises when I put car in park and then in to drive it took off then jerk back and has never moved again. I had to push it to a parking spot and in neutral the car would jerk back and stop every 2 ft

O.k.,with no check engine light on this usually indicates this is not an electrical component at fault in the transmission.If it was usually the check engine light comes on to let you know that an electrical component is at fault.

This sounds more mechanical with a mechanical transmission component at fault like the valve body or the torque converter.If either of these fail this can cause an issue like this here with the mechanical valve body or torque converter needing replaced.

Unfortunately you will need to have the transmission checked to see what needs replaced.This will involve some testing that can require removal of the transmission in some cases to take it apart for inspection and repair.In allot of cases if it is found to be a major repair it can be cheaper to replace the transmission then it would be to repair it.But I suspect one of these is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete