Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a e4od on a 7.3 diesel 97 Ford. I have 160k on it and…

I have a e4od...

I have a e4od on a 7.3 diesel 97 Ford. I have 160k on it and it just started slipping. First and second gear the rpms rev up to 3k before truck moves. It will move slow but totally slipping. I feel tho if I get up to speed to get into 3rd it holds like normal. Not 199% on that. What does this sound like?? Solenoid pack or reman the whole tranny??

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

97. It’s servixed regular

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Ford?

F super duty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hopefully

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

If the fluid is full then you are looking at an overhaul or replacement. there are no electronics involved for first gear, first gear is fully hydraulic/mechanical, there are no electronics involved. If it is slipping in first then it is a internal concern.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

first and second gear are totally hydraulic!? What makes it slip then?? And why is first and second slipping and not reverse or third or fourth

From your description I would have to say the forward clutch is failing, broken seal, cracked piston or failed seal on the center support. Forward is off in reverse, third and fourth gears.

Ok now this sounds better. So this repair would include a whole overhaul?? There’s nothing that could be tried or done to prolong this tranny??

It is an internal failure, either overhaul or replacement.

Did you need any further assistance? The question is showing "waiting for customer response/rating" Let me know and I will respond or have the question closed out.
Thanks,
Kenny

Ok so I was looking Around on internet and seen the forward clutch is a common thing with these. So if I wanted a quick fix while I have a new stronger tranny built and shipped, is replace the forward clutch with the discs and seals. Other than this current issue I never had any other issues. It’s on a large bucket truck so not many garages around here that will fit it in their garage.

There are a lot of components related to the forward clutch that can cause it not to engage, it would need to be opened up and inspected to find the root cause. Not as simple as just replacing the discs and seals. We just know the clutch is not engaging. It could be hydraulic, the entire hydraulic fluid path from the valve body through the center support and to the clutch including seals ot cracked components that could bleed pressure. It could be mechanical, broken hub, broken shaft, sheared splines ...etc.

Ah ok. Sorry for so many questions. I picking your brain as much as possible. Ok that def sounds like something out of my realm. Ok well thank you for your time

Your very welcome.

Thanks,
Kenny

OK then, I will have the question closed out. Best of luck with the repairs!

Kenny

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech