Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1995 dodge 2500 4x4. New tranny. new TP sensor. new temp…

Customer Question
1995 dodge 2500 4x4...

1995 dodge 2500 4x4. New tranny. new TP sensor. new temp sensor, 3rd computer. Still wants to kick in and out of overdrive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

Yep. done that

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I installed all the parts myself and the tranny. Had dodge dealership look at it for 4 hours. They want 4-6 more hours of time with a tech from "somewhere". We are scratching out heads. I believe it is in the wiring, the volts going to the trans. is way off "so they tell me".

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can recall.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/9/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does the transmission work well otherwise?

tell me all you can

thanks

it does. I still pull a trailer with it and drive it daily. The issue started a couple years ago. I installed a dead man switch to the ground of the overdrive that did not help the situation, and the transmission decided to leave us. I parked it until I had time to replace it. Last summer I replaced the transmission and the issue didn't go away. A dodge dealership[ plugged into the computer and tested the wiring. They said the voltage to the trans temp sensor was off "a Lot"; they didn't tell me how much. I am leaning towards the wiring harness or a bare wire sending misinformation to the computer(third one). Now that I have invested time and $ into a project I shouldn't have here we are. I still believe it is a simple fix just need a direction.

tell me,,have you ever noticed at a low speed if the transmission would seem to hunt what gear to stay into?

no , around 50 or so it would want to kick into overdrive and then kick back down back up and then down. I drive it with overdrive off at this point, sucks on mileage but what to do? Even with the overdrive off sometimes it still wants to shift up and back down.

ok

double check the adjustment of your tv cable..but

from the way you explain,,it sounds as if you need to replace the governor pressure solenoid,,

replace both the solenoid and the governor sensor..both at the same time while you have the governor housing off,,this is a faily common problem with this transmission

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygsig5jfmg4b7sz/0309-dodge-1.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/ygsig5jfmg4b7sz/0309-dodge-1.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help