Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I can start my car but I cant depress the shift button on…

Customer Question
I can start my...

I can start my car but I cant depress the shift button on floor gear shift OR if I can and I am able to get somewhere, then I cannot remove the key even though I have put the car in park with the floor gear shift, the key is still in the accessary mode and cannot be turned off or removed.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Its a 2008 trail blazer that I purchased used so I'm not sure about the history. I LOVE my vehicle and want to keep it so any help in getting the problem "fixed" "cheaply" would be appreciated. I am partially disabled and don't have a large income so money is somewhat a problem at times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

A friend of mine was willing to work on it. He used to have his own shop. someone told me it could be the ignition switch; that it could affect the shifting mechanism. My friend was just concerned that the key might have a chip in it and even if he fixed it, that the dealer would have to reprogram the system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

None that I can think of at the moment.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
3/9/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

When it will not shift out of park have you checked to verify the brake lights work?

Are you able to do some electrical testing at the shifter and steering column?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris