Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 XLT. Reverse no movement bogged…

Customer Question
2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 XLT...
2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 XLT. Reverse no movement bogged down when gas applied. Went forward in N,D,D1,D2,D3I got it to popped out and all positions work correctly now. But I now have a grinding / vibrations when I start from a stop goes away in higher gears. If I manually shift from D1 to D2 to D3 and then into D no grinding / vibration. Do I need a new tranny?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Transmission Mechanic: hdgene, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Ok so now you still have no reverse and it drives in neutral? How many miles are on the trans? Is it full of fluid, does it look or smell burnt?

All gear work correctly now. Fluid full. 168,000. I cant tell if it a burnt smell but does have a funny smell

From what you are describing, it sounds like an internal issue, main thing is to make sure the shifter cable isnt jamming up the transmission in between gears causing an issue. With the mileage you have it probably is an internal failure. A diagnostic check for codes should be done and inspect the shift linkage. If the shifter cable is ok then it would point to an internal issue.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating

I just went and checked, not giving any tranny codes

Ok, make sure the shifter is moving properly and not hanging up in between gears. Sounds like its in the trans. You can drop the transmission pan and inspect for metal or debris. If its making noise, there will be something in the pan to indicate transmission failure.

Do you need more help with this concern.