Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My truck is having trouble shifting if I drive slow and

My truck is having...

My truck is having trouble shifting if I drive slow and accelerate normal it fine but if I try to accelerate fast my rpms shoot up so I had my transmission scanned and they couldn’t find any code could u point me in the right direction

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

I don’t personally but I took it to a transmission shop and they scanned it and didn’t find anything

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2015 ram 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet accept disconnecting the battery to see if the computer would reset

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
The truck just started shifting hard out of first gear
3/9/2018
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, how many miles are on the trans? Is the fluid level full and does it smell burnt? Any modifications done to the truck?

Little over 48000 nothing smell burnt and I’m getting ready to put a programmer in it also in the middle of fixing the exauhst

Ok what engine is in this truck and is it 2 or*****

It’s a 2wd and it has the 5.7hemi

Was the trans shop that scanned the truck able to duplicate the problem? is it an intermittent issue ? whats wrong with the exhaust?

They said they couldn’t duplicate it but I can every time I get in the truck and where the exauhst att arches from the mana folds to the pipe it came loose

Ok so this is an intermittent problem. What is the sceanrio that this happens? Hot/cold etc?

Cold I believe but the trans has been running a few degrees hot

There are no technical bulletins for this concern. A cold issue could be a sticking valve or solenoid concern. Since there no codes, its no an electronic fault so i would lean towards a mechanical one. Reprogramming the engine control module/trans module may help and a relearn of the adaptive shift strategy. Only issue I did see was the a tsb for coolant in the transmission fluid, if that was the case, you would have seen the fluid is contaminated.

Ok thanks so when I program it it might fix it and how hard would it be to replace one of those mechanical issues

Depends on what exactly is causing the concern, solenoids arent complicated but programming that im talking about is the dealer kind, not an aftermarket program. If a dealer programs over your tuner, it will be deleted and you would have to reinstall it.

hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you!

Cary York
Phone call session started