Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 2013 ford 3.5 AWD with what I thought was slippage in…

I have 2013 ford...

I have 2013 ford 3.5 AWD with what I thought was slippage in upper gear range but there ae no slip codes found. The ford shop said that it may be torque converter cuz the graphic shows a wavy line with a quick drop initially and then searching for gears and then finally finding the high gear. I asked about the oss or tss and they said there were no codes for that -thought it was torque converter but I have read where sometimes u do not get codes for those sensors until complete failure. There must be a sequence to check this type problem so what comes first without dropping the whole tranny or just replacing torque converter

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

No I had it done at Ford.and they cleared everything. the last time I ran the vehicle up thru the gears faster it thru a wrench code but htat is gone now but still can sense its looking for gears in 4-5 it seems

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2013 ford edge 3.5 AWD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not a tranny expert and without scan tools pretty much unable to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Primarily what sequence of evaluation and repair makes the most sense-as always they want to replace everything and start over w new but we have not even tried changing out the sensors yet or gone a simple route other than the scan and reset at FOrd. I realize it can be sensors TCM or reprograming/resetting the adaptive driving but if its valve body solenoids how do u check for that . Whats the proper path sequence to DX and in what order

3/8/2018
Scott W
Scott W, Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I get your vin to see which transmission the vehicle has, thanks.

Its a DA8P 7000 RA 3.16 ratio
I cannot do phone -at work-right now!
The car seems to start off Ok initially but may shift hard into 2nd or 3rd once in awhile but mostly notice issues going faster over 30 and going uphill searching for next gear or not wanting to shift smoothly. Gets worse as tranny warms up more. The tech thought there was a pump pressure issue w torque converter or maybe torque converter was failing but nothing said about sensors or communication bt them and TCM or PCM or how solenoids may impact what is going on. Only that it was not a slippage issue and no codes for sensors TSS ,OSS. Anyway typically it will drop into high gear eventually but it rumbles a little when it gets stuck in between until it drops in high gear.

Ok that part number doesn't do me any good. Just needed to know if it is a 6f35 or 6f50?

6f50
please email me with your suggestions
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

This is a very sophisticated model, it is going to flag a faulty sensor or solenoid if there is one, very quick. Since there are no codes for any of them I have no reason to suspect that is a current issue. Based on it rumbling in high gear that is for sure a converter shudder. My suggestion is a shift strategy retrain and fluid service.

Fluid: Drain the fluid, add a bottle of lube guard, refill to the minimum level. Drive the vehicle for 5 minutes. In park on level ground, while running adjust the fluid to the max fill line.

Retrain: Disconnect both battery cables, hold them together for one minute. Reconnect them 30 minutes later. Start the car and let it idle for one minute, rev it once then let it idle again for one minute. Shift to neutral and do not release the brake. Shift through these gears like so RNDNRND Do this so you hit each gear 5 times and stay in each gear at least 5 seconds. No drive very slow to 30 mph then slow to a stop very slow, 3 times back to back. Then to 55mph slow and to a stop slow 3 times in a row.

Now your set. Drive it at least 50 miles and reply back if any issues remain.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Ok so will the battery cables touching together drain the capacitors and reset things in the RAM memory for vehicle operation. Will that not make us reprogram the radio and such.I thought that one could not do that anymore cuz of the nonvolatile RAM memory. SO first what is purpose of the battery thing.
Second when retraining do the steps u outline -shift to N and hold brake- and then run thru gears in the pattern u suggest -are we preparing for adaptive learning session by how we subsequently drive the car after this gear run-thru protocol we start with. IS the gear run thru step a set up protocol for the actual drive session. WIll I need a scan tool tool to reset things or clear things after the drive session or at some point.

Touching the cables together will drain all modules of reserve power for memory and make them reset.

No scan tool is needed for any of this.

Ok i will try this over the weekend. Can i use the gear lube on this tranny. I saw something on the gearlube site about not using on Fords or CVT which this is not.
Just a side note this tranny was flushed 2-3 times in the last 3 -4 months but it seemed the last flush almost made it worse as the shudder almost seemingly got worse at 4-5th gear attempt to shift and started looking for gears after 3rd gear. Occasionally it feels as if 2nd to 3rd shift hard/abrupt .I assume if this does not do the trick will we have a stage 2 evaluation of other possibilities. Thanks for ur feedback.
KJS

I rebuilt hundreds of Ford transmissions a year and put lube guard in all of them except CVT. If this does not work, internal repairs are needed. We are trying to avoid that with time-consuming tasks that cost little to do.

CHris
I have yet to try the steps u suggested but wanted to know couple things. Draining the energy and reseting things to whatever was the default mode. I have read that ther was an update in software and that the last FOrd dealer checked the software version when they were telling me there is a converter shudder ( likley a pressure drop off issue based on graph they showed me, they think its an isolated converter issue) and no slip codes or oss or tss codes and updated anything that was needed. Will this procedure wipe out software updates done recently by Ford.
Chris
I tried what u suggested and it actually seemed worse -like it was searching for gears even at 25 -30 mph and then converter rumble if i pushed it from there almost each time . At least before it would not search for gears till till i got closer to 40 maybe 4 to 5th gear and then periodically rumble b4 dropping into a 6th or OD gear so now it seems anywhere involving 3-5 gears seem to all over the place and maybe a louder rumble.

Resets will not erase reprogramming work done by the dealer.

" Drive it at least 50 miles and reply back if any issues remain." have you done that part?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris
I am doing as u stated- drive at least 50 miles. I have noticed the shudder or rumble has tapered off some as i drive more . It was really audible initially and now it is much less( barely any noise)but still a little floundering from 3-5 gear and doesn't drop into overdrive or 6th until around 65-70mph and 25-2700 on tach or if i let off the gas a little. SO there is some improvement so I want to drive it more and hit some hills where it has to downshift or is that not advisable. DOnt worry about the rating it will be all 5 star -I really appreciate u hanging with me. We will see where 50 miles takes their beater.
KJS

Thanks for the update.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician