Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Pathfinder I think it's on limp mode, I changed the TPS n…

My Pathfinder I think...

My Pathfinder I think it's on limp mode

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pathfinder?

I changed the TPS n drove it for about 25 miles at highway speeds got home parked it next day won't go in reverse n on drive is only high gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

It's a 2002 3,5 e wheel drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am .. I'ved tried disconnecting battery , I'ved taken fuses out , I cleared all codes to where there's nothing showing .. but still same problem . When I put it in reverse u can feel the click n like it's on but then it's like on park it locks up..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really I just need help bad .. n thanks

Well it's as old as my truck it's got 127,364 miles on it
No I haven't tried the brake pedal switch ??
Well I just pushed it in neutral out of driveway n drove it to work 25 miles it lacks power but it went fine .. still no reverse it's like having it in park.. it won't budge in reverse u can feel n hear it click like it shifted but it's locked just like in parking
3/7/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello I am Chris

This concern is a not my strongest area of expertise, but I am willing to try if help is still needed.

please
No calls I'm being charged for everything n I'ved gotten no answer on anything
Dennis Gooch

Are there any warning lights on?

No but last night during snow storm I slid n the abs light came on
Sounds like second gear is not working n in neutral it wants to go forward but it then disconnects n it stays in neautral reverse is still like being in park can't even push it wheels are locked ..
N all I did was change a a couple brake lines in rear n bled them n it ran good . Then I put a new exhaust from cats back n it ran great .. once I changed the TPS that's when all went to hell .. I adjusted it n it idles fine n runs exept for trani problem now .. ugh .. I'm stumped

There could be a possibility you got a bad TPS or one that is for the wrong application.. Did you have trans symptoms before you replaced TPS?

No I did not have any problems before
The only problem I had it kept reving up n down n code gave me a bad tps changing it fixed that problem but gave me this head ache
Ok I'm going to go get dressed for this cold weather n go put the old tps on see if that does anything .. it'll take me about half hour to get it out n in n get my self ready .. I look forward to hearing from you next thank you for ur help thus far

of course! I will be unavailable for next few hours, but will respond asap when Im back.

Ok I changed it n it's doing what it used to I got abs light on n now it gives me code P0731 gear 1 incorrect ratio..
N idle speed control system

These vehicles have a known problem with the alternator being bad and causing problems you are describing. If you can check alternator voltage and see if it is undercharging or overcharging. Typical voltage with vehicle running should be 12.9 volts to 14.6 volts. This charging system voltage being high or low can cause real problems. Also check wiring that goes to the throttle body (where TPS bolts on) look for bad wires (loose connectors, missing insulation, shorted together).

Still no reverse... I'ved been reading alot on this n I'm reading the cooler might be clogged or the reverse cable came loose in tranni or bad linckage but all was fine b5 I changed the TPS..
Ok I'll do that n I have checked all wiring around everything I touched n then some my alternator is fine I had checked it already it's 13.2 with vehicle running
I guess I'll probably have to bring it to a transmission shop.. n hope they can figure it out ...

all that being known... it may very well have a valve body problem in transmission. The good news is that if it is a GOOD and HONEST transmission shop, that is something that can be fixed without removing trans and doing complete overhaul.

True .. n thank you for all ur help

You are welcome. My pleasure. If you are kind enough to rate my answers, that is how I get credit for my efforts and it does not stop me from being able to keep conversing on this topic at no extra charge. Thanks. Dennis.

Dennis Gooch
Will do n thanks again